Feb. 20 - 21, 2017
Jefferson City, Mo.
Legislative Academy is a one-of-a-kind opportunity for 4-H teens to be ambassadors for Missouri 4-H at the heart of Missouri state government in Jefferson City. Youth delegates from across the state are selected by 4-H to meet with executive, legislative, and judicial state government leaders. Highlights also include shadowing state legislators, and meeting with commodity groups, state agencies, and major supporters of the 4-H program.
The Academy provides teens with opportunities to share their 4-H experiences and success stories, while gaining leadership and citizenship skills for careers in public service, law, journalism, public relations, lobbying, and related fields.
What Youth Are Saying:
The most important thing Academy delegates say they gained from the experience…
- “How to talk to adults and ‘really important’ people.”
- “Information on agriculture commodity groups and relationships with representatives.”
- “What partnerships have to do with 4-H and what we can do to help.”
- “How the government works. It isn’t like TV at all. You experience it.”
- “It definitely showed me what you can do with journalism degrees.”
- “This pushes me closer to my career. I want to take political science and law courses.”
- “I received an internship with my representative’s office as a result of this trip.”